Skip to main content

About your Search

20121121
20121129
Search Results 0 to 3 of about 4
and tax hikes go into effect at the end of the year. the president wants tax breaks for 98% of americans and 97% of small businesses, while raising taxes on the wealthy. most republicans remain against tax hikes and want to cut spending on social programs such as medicare and social security. however, the latest tone out of washington is encouraging. "as thomas jefferson said, and this is a quote, 'we should not put off tomorrow what we can do today.'" "the only balanced approach is one that includes real and lasting reforms, so republicans have stepped out of our comfort zone." in the latest manueverings, the obama administration points out the typical american household will pay $2,200 in additional taxes next year, which could hurt consumer spending by $200 billion in 2013 and threaten christmas shopping this season. house speaker john boehner and a few other key republicans appear willing to consider tax hikes. billionaire warren buffett chimes in that tax hikes won't stop the wealthy from investing. in our cover story, the woman who led the securities and exchange commission after t
to avoid another recession. at the end of the year, tax breaks expire and drastic spending cuts are due to take effect. bracing for those higher tax rates possibly coming next year, some corporations are handing out 2012 dividend payments that are looking more like christmas presents. walmart and dillard's are among several companies paying dividends in december instead of in early 2013. currently taxed at 15%, that rate, under automatic fiscal cliff increases, could more than double. many investors believe that no matter how the fiscal cliff situation is resolved, dividend tax rates will likely increase in 2013. jamie dimon is getting public praise from billionaire warren buffett. this week on charlie rose, mr. buffett said he thinks mr. dimon could be the "best person for the job" after treasury secretary timothy geithner steps down. mr. buffett notes that dimon could deftly handle another financial crisis, even though jp morgan was forced to take a government bailout during the financial crisis and dimon came under question earlier this year, when the bank lost 6 billion dollars in a
're not thinking money after taxes or anything realistic, you're just thinking, 'i'm going to get a windfall of cash and this is going to be amazing!'" "it's not a new story for tech employees to have their options underwater. it's just kinda the breaks." in his book "groupon's biggest deal ever," frank sennett details how founding partners like eric levkofsky cashed out some of their shares before groupon's ipo, pocketing hundreds of millions of dollars in the process. "they're the early-stage founders, they're the ones driving the bus. and there are all sorts of lessons that life isn't fair and that's one of them." though the rank and file still holding shares do have at least some hope for some kind of bonus. 'you know, at this point, you may have lost 66%, maybe 75%. is there a chance you're going to lose that extra 25%? yes there is, but it needs to go down another 100% from here.' knispel has pretty much cashed out 'i didn't get to buy a plane or a boat or anything' and bowman has moved on as well. 'i did have the cash to rebuild the garage for my house because it was falling apart. no
in to look at what traders are expecting from congress' talks on taxes and spending. we'll be right back. wy 0a> c9?'epp$? >>> matt is the man with cmz trading. what is going on this week between the two bickerers factions. what are you and traders in again looking for? >> well, i think it would be great if we knew that hay, we have a deal going forward. these are the terms. this is how it is going to affect the economy and we can start to look at that 6789 but you know, even though we had the nice press conference last week where everyone said hey,er going to work together. >> the market has not had a huge sell off. there have been some indication that is people are worried. >> well, i think that you have a few factors going on. you have to "fiscal cliff" and people are getting tired of the warnings but it is a real big deal. nobody quite knows what is going to happen. so you have got a push and pull and i will say through this whole thing, we have seen not a lot of panic, the puts are very cheap. so, i think that there is reason to be you know cautious on both sides. when we get more clar
Search Results 0 to 3 of about 4